Can a Change in Schools Prompt a Child Custody Modification?

boy getting on school bus

As your child grows up and their needs change, their school and extracurricular schedules might change reducing the time you spend with your child. If your child is starting a grade in a new school, whether it be middle school or high school, or changing schools altogether, their school start and end times are likely to change. For some parents, this schedule change can be difficult to manage, and they may start to feel like they are not getting enough time with their child.

If you are in this situation, it is important to know that you may be able to request a modification to your child custody agreement. However, there are other reasons why parents may not want to modify their agreement after the child’s schedule changes, so it is important to speak with a Knies, Helland & McPherson attorney before making any decisions.

School Changes

If your child is starting a grade in a new school, whether it be middle school or high school, their school start and end times are likely to change. They may take up after-school activities, tutoring, music lessons, or sports practices. Regardless of your child’s age, you will start to notice changes in their schedule as they grow older. Your child might also earn their driver’s license and have the ability to drive themself to their new school or extracurricular activities to help lessen their need for transportation

Common Changes Impacted by School Activities

As a parent, you are responsible for providing for your child and ensure that they are cared for. If their school schedule changes conflict with your professional life and work schedule, you might be unsure of what to do. You may have to hire a nanny, modify your work schedule, recruit help from family or friends, or change daycare providers to better reflect your family’s changing needs.

However, if your changes are substantial and not expected to be temporary, you might be able to request a custody modification to reflect your family’s changing needs.

Child Custody Modifications

If you believe that your child’s schooling changes are substantial, you might have to file for a modification with the court to adjust your time-sharing schedule. To do this, you will need to show that there has been a significant change in circumstances. You might also need to show that you have tried to work out a solution with the other parent and that you have considered your child's best interests.

A trusted child custody modifications attorney can review your family’s circumstances and help you determine if a custody modification would be in your child’s best interests. They can help you prepare for requesting the custody modification and work with you throughout the process to ensure your family’s needs are being considered and met.

Reasons Not to Request a Modification

Even if you are struggling to manage your child’s schedule after a change in school, there are some reasons why you might not want to request a modification.

Requesting a parenting time modification can be difficult, especially as you have to prove the substantial change that has affected your family. If this school change was done willingly, you and your child’s other parent should have had the time to prepare for the difficulties your family may face due to this decision.

You might also decide not to request a modification if you believe this change is something you can find a solution to over time. You should discuss with your child’s other parent changes you both can make to find a solution for your child’s schooling and schedule changes. This may include adjusting your drop-off and pick-up routines, trusting your child to take the bus, or discussing a new time-sharing agreement.

What If The Other Parent Is Uncooperative?

If your child’s other parent is uncooperative, it can be frustrating as you try to find a solution to your child custody challenges. A trusted modifications attorney can review your family’s situation and discuss your options.

Partnering With You For a Successful Future

If you consider requesting a modification or have questions about child custody, Knies, Helland & McPherson can help. Our experienced family law attorneys can advise you on the best course of action for your situation and help you navigate the legal process.

Contact us by calling (719) 626-8530 to schedule a consultation and meet with one of our modifications attorneys today.

Related Posts
  • Navigating the Path to Child Support Enforcement in Colorado Read More
  • Holiday Parenting Schedules Read More
  • Basics of Paternity Testing Read More