Name Change Resources Helping Families Through Legal Conflict and Into a Positive Future

How To Legally Change Your Name in Colorado

1. Identify and Follow the Correct Colorado Legal Name Change Process

  • Marriage - A Colorado state marriage license serves as proof of a marital name change. You can sign the certificate in your new name once the marriage is finalized, which can then be used to update other documents.

  • Divorce - You can request a name change during the divorce and the court will typically grant the request. You can also wait to restore your previous name after the divorce is final.
  • Petition for a Change of Name - This generally involves: Filling out a petition and filing it with the court; Verifying the petition by affidavit; Providing your reasons for changing your name; Submitting a criminal history check, at your expense, to the court and disclosing any additional criminal dispositions; Publishing notice of your petition in a local newspaper three times, and filing proof of publication with the court; and attending a court hearing where the court will consider your petition.

2. File the Appropriate Paperwork With Government Agencies

You will need to update your social security card, driver's license and passport. See below for more information about each agency.

3. Provide Updated Information for Non-Government Entities

Contact your bank, insurance company, creditors and similar entities to let them know about your name change.

Name Change Resources for Colorado Residents

Social Security Card

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you must tell social security so you can get a corrected card. You cannot apply for a card online, you must fill out an application and turn it into the local social security office. This service is free.

DMV Name Change

When visiting the DMV, you must bring the letter from the social security administration that verifies your name change or your social security card displaying your new name. You’ll need to bring in a certified name–change document, such as your marriage license or court order.


You must have your current passport to apply for a new one. Visit the site above and select ‘passport renewal’ to get the right forms.


Former Clients Share Their Experiences
  • These are the folks you want to have your back!

    “Jennifer and her team are consummate professionals. Their years of experience helping families get through all the paperwork and details really showed while they handled our case. Very affordable and ...”

    - Johnathan I.
  • The whole law firm in general is amazing to be honest.

    “I went to them with a custody dispute with my ex-wife. I will refer everyone I hear going through this to them. Ezra and his Paralegal Jessica are an amazing team and go the extra mile to get you a ...”

    - Adam J.
  • He made this process as easy as possible.

    “It's been almost a year since I had my final court date regarding family matters. From the moment I walked into their office, I was greeted by Jess who was very nice and welcoming. Snacks and drinks ...”

    - Ruby B.
  • I would highly recommend Knies, Helland, and McPherson Law.

    “Jeniffer Knies and Krista Bobick were very patient with me, always answered my questions, and gave me objective counsel I knew I could trust. Their hard work and diligence resulted in a favorable ...”

    - Jackline N.
  • She is the best at what she does.

    “Jennifer was the best attorney ever! I am so glad that I spent the money to have her represent me in my divorce and since then to consult about parenting agreement matters. She is the best at what she ...”

    - Former Client

What Sets Us Apart?

Dedication. Experience. Results.
  • Experience

    The partners and attorneys at Knies, Helland & McPherson are seasoned litigators with decades of combined courtroom experience. We help clients transition into the next phase of their life. 

  • Clients Come First

    Our Attorneys believe you can part ways with a loved one with dignity and respect, without harming your children. They also believe divorce and mediation can be much less confrontational and toxic, and far less expensive.

  • Personalized Service

    When you work with our team, you will get a customized plan that best fits your unique situation. No two cases are the same and our attorneys understand this.

  • Team Oriented

    As Mothers and friends, our approach is unique in that we work collectively as a team. Our firm's number one priority is the success of our clients. We strongly believe that the best outcomes come about when we collaborate.